It has been a very long time

Discussion in 'The Welcome Room' started by Lord Phoenix, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Lord Phoenix

Lord Phoenix New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi guys. I used to be a member of this site back in the very early days. Around from 2001-2002 It has been a very long time since I have been on this site. I used to be known as ~Phoenix~ back in the day. I have had several other names that I am trying to remember but they no longer exist because of well, name changes lol, but I'll get to them as soon as I can remember them.

This was my old account, so I decided to make a new one as I cannot seem to access my old one anymore.

http://gamewinners.com/index.php?members/phoenix.1220/

Anyway, some people might remember me as the person who started Ignite Gaming from a long time ago. It was yet another GW clone from back in the day when they were popular, and a failure of a clone too. I will admit that back then I was somewhat of a troll but not TOO bad of a troll, just may have said offensive and stupid things but that was about it, but I was only 15 years old back then and whatever I did that was offensive, I apologize.

Anyway, for those who may remember me. How have you guys been? For those who haven't, nice to meet all of you.

2. Apollo

Apollo Omnipotent Moron Administrator

-Return to Top-

Welcome back ;).

I do indeed remember you, and Ignite Gaming. How have things been? Good to see you around again!

3. Lord Phoenix

Lord Phoenix New Member

-Return to Top-

It is great to see you. I remember that avatar as an AIM icon from back in the day. Were you the guy from Platinum Gamers? I somewhat remember the name Apollo from GW from back in the day.

Obviously, I was Phoenix Lightwind(original name at Ignite Gaming) and then changed it to Sin when I was there. It has been years but I am glad to see things are going. Heard Al retired a year ago. If only I could have came back before then. wish I could have gave him my farewell. He was a great admin. Yeah a lot has changed. I was only a teenager then, I'll be 31 pretty soon. IG however, was a failure and some of it was my fault, some of it my brother's. Yeah we all moved on. I already finished college years ago, got me a full time job 4 years ago after having some part time jobs. Got promoted earlier this year. Just bought me a 2017 car. My first time buying a car with my own money and not my parent's. I'm hoping more people are still here that I remember.

4. Apollo

-Return to Top-

Yep, many moons ago I ran Platinum Gamers, it moved onto several other names and restarted a couple of times before finally shutting down after a 15 year run. I've got another small community website running, as well, just to keep in touch with a few people.

Yeah, it's a shame he retired and in so doing retired the main site. We've tried to gather the codes from him so we could archive that part of things and put them in the Cheats section, but the last batch we received were corrupted and I haven't been able to chase him down again for a proper batch to keep that process going. That was a lifetime of work and it would be great to have that archived.

I'm in a somewhat similar position, turning 30 in October, working full time as a computer programmer and paying off those wonderful student loans from college. Congrats on the car! I bought my first new car in 2014 (a 2015 VW Golf TSI S) and it's an incredible feeling (plus there's nothing quite like that new car smell!) ;).

We've still got quite a few familiar names around, but as you can see, things are quite a bit slower these days than in our heyday, sadly.

5. Lord Phoenix

Lord Phoenix New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks man. I remember those days when I first joined PG, then IG was formed, and we had a rivalry. A rather stupid and childish rivalry but when I look back, I saw that I had a lot of respect for you, for Al and for many people here. I have to agree, the smell of a new car is fantastic. Last year I moved to my new apartment, which was way better than the previous ones I have lived it and it is great.

Come to think of it, before there was Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, there was the obvious My Space but that was known for bugs, viruses and so much crap. But, before that, the closest thing to social media we had back then were these boards. GW was the very firstboard I have ever joined. In a way, GW was my first real experience to social media if you really think about it and I am proud to have been a part of this. I however, sadly too have noticed some inactivity as I was looking around and a lot of traffic seems to have gone out but I am impressed with the new layout.

As for me, again lol. Yeah I do work full time and loving it. I hope we can get some cheats back in the cheats section. If I ever do find anything, I'll try to see what I can do.

Also, I would like to say that for those who were against me back in the day, I forgive you all. And like I said, those who I had issues with, I apologize to you as well. Most of us were teenagers then and when looking at this board, we actually had a forum made just to take our anger out on people, for the stupidest things. Most boards do not have a "Thunderdome" where we can take our anger out on others, but have rules against flames, insults and slurs. There is no glory in insulting other people on the Internet and it isn't like you win anything either. Actually, when people flame others on the Internet, it doesn't make any of us strong, but actually it makes us look childish and immature to not only other members, but even those who aren't registered. Adults would think some of us are crazy to flame each other on the Internet, not intelligent. Also, if I remember correctly, the Thunderdome had more trolls than any other forum on GW that I have ever seen. All what it really did was attract trolls, many which became banned from one name to another all because of it's "verbal violent" behavior.

As for my brother, Joe. He is doing very well. He's way far from me now though as I'm in the south and he's all the way up north but he's doing well. Sometimes we talk about the Internet and he too told me that he also regrets some of the immature things both of us have done. We were not good leaders to be honest. Even I admit that I was not a good leader at leading a forum. I tried and I failed and then next thing you know, high school and college took over my life. Next thing you know it, jobs and my social life as well.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  6. Apollo

-Return to Top-

I remember the rivalry bit, but not what got it all started. I do remember Joe was a mod at PG and I did a batch update that temporarily de-modded him, and he thought I'd done it because of IG and was upset about that, but he was back in his position within minutes, so if that was the start of it, I guess it was my fault and I'd apologize to him if that were the case! I never disliked IG, Joe or yourself, it just seemed like there was tension between the two sites and I could never place why. Still, as you said, it was a childish rivalry to have back then and I'm glad it's in the past.

Yeah, it's pretty funny to look back and see that our early days predate things like MySpace, Twitter and Facebook, and we all had to make do with things like ICQ, AIM, MSN Messenger, chatrooms and forums as our 'social media' of the day. GW was my first major forum that I'd joined and stuck with, and it's odd to think this same site is still, if only barely, alive and kicking 16 years later.

I'll send him another email and see if he can forward a batch that aren't corrupted. Fortunately, a lot of codes are also archived on The Wayback Machine at archive.org, so if worst comes to the worst they can still be grabbed that way. Hopefully, though, he'll reply at some point with the properly formatted files and I can start adding them in again.

Yeah, Thunderdomes and teenagers just didn't make for a very good mixture, and it was definitely filled with trolls in its' day. It was a definite precursor to what we see today as "typical" of the "internet culture" in regards to trolling. A bit of a shame.

Glad to hear Joe's doing well, as well! I wouldn't worry about IG failing, it still managed to pull in a pretty decent following, and for an early attempt at running a forum, that's something to be quite proud of!

7. PeytlegsCK2005

PeytlegsCK2005 Andersooooon

-Return to Top-

Hey! I remember we used to fight, but I don't remember why so it's all good haha. It's crazy to think how long ago I started going to gamewinners. Time flies

8. PeytlegsCK2005

-Return to Top-

9. Lord Phoenix

Lord Phoenix New Member

-Return to Top-

We may have fought but then again, like you said, I do not remember why.

Somehow, I do not remember you as I do not recognize your current name, what names did you go by in the past?

10. PeytlegsCK2005

-Return to Top-

I actually changed my name to Fleanix to mock you lol, I went by KrisKattan72 then ChrisKattan2005

11. Lord Phoenix

Lord Phoenix New Member

-Return to Top-

Ooooh, I remember you. Yeah, you were one of the first moderators at IG. Yeah we did fight here and there for stupid things. Though when I do look back, I see and realize, you were actually a funny guy and I like that about you. How have you been? It's good to hear from you again.