NFL The 2017 NFL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by BigDaddy, Sep 7, 2017.

1. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Killer robot driving instructor Moderator Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Opening night tonight! @The Eye in the Sky! , I'm fairly certain Bernard Pollard is nowhere near Gillette Stadium, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about tonight. I'd like to see the Chiefs pull off the upset, but I just don't see how it's going to happen.

2. Cpezo

Cpezo I want my colored CT back Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think Pollard might be banned from even entering Massachusetts.
    Good luck to your Chiefs. I love the way they are built. As long as their offense can put up more points, I think they would be SB contenders. It helps that they don't turn the ball over

BigDaddy likes this.
  3. RedRooster

RedRooster Ex-Moderator

-Return to Top-

Glad to see the 19-0 talk already dead after the first game.

4. Spiner202

Spiner202 Ex-Moderator Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well that was awesome.

Even more exciting: I'll be at the next KC game! I've seen them in Buffalo a few times, but never in KC, so this should be great. Looking forward to feeling terrible after devouring tons of bbq!

BigDaddy likes this.
  5. The Eye in the Sky!

The Eye in the Sky! That guy eating pie Moderator Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That running back is good. I was laughing after his first carry but he stuck it to the defense. Or what was supposed to be a defense. Remember when the Patriots had the best secondary in the league? Alex Smith remembers.

If Alex Smith has figured out how to throw deep, or at least 10-15 yards downfield, the Chiefs are legit*

*Until they have a close game and Andy Reid forgets the game is regulated by a clock, not innings.

BigDaddy likes this.
  6. BigDaddy

-Return to Top-

Nice! I hope you enjoy your time in KC. Will you get to explore the city at all?

Alex Smith played out of his mind, and Kareem Hunt had a huge game after fumbling his first ever carry in the NFL. What a second half. It's great to get the win, but it's bittersweet because it sounds like Eric Berry has a torn achilles. Justin Houston is finally healthy again, and Derrick Johnson is back from his injury, and now this happens. I would love to see all those guys healthy for a full season. Berry is the heart of the Chiefs defense, Johnson is the soul, and Houston is the muscle. It will be tough not having Berry in there. He shut down Gronk as much you could hope for last night. He also makes big plays, whether with an interception or a key run stop (like on 4th down last night). On the bright side, if Alex Smith and the offense can keep playing like they did last night, the defense won't have to bear as much of the load.

7. The Eye in the Sky!

-Return to Top-

I just read that about Berry, that sucks. I've been a fan of his for a while, ever since he and Brandon Flowers came into the league (what ever happened to him?)

BigDaddy likes this.
  8. Spiner202

-Return to Top-

We're doing a stadium tour of Arrowhead and possibly some other stuff. My dad planned out the itinerary, but I'm not too sure what is on it.

I'm also trying to see Witchtrap on the 16th, but there doesn't seem to be any info about where the show is :(

BigDaddy likes this.
  9. BigDaddy

-Return to Top-

Flowers went to San Diego a few years ago and just sort of fizzled out. Looks like he only played in six games last year. I think he had injury problems.

10. Fool's Requiem

Fool's Requiem Is that a pro Genji?! Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The injury to Berry could potentially be huge for the Chiefs. That dude has the worst luck. At least he got a contract signed this time. Would have been worse for him if it happened last year.

BigDaddy likes this.
  11. Fool's Requiem

-Return to Top-

Not a good start for the Browns. Go 15 yards the wrong way and then get the punt blocked into a Steelers touchdown.

12. Spiner202

-Return to Top-

I've only watched parts of this game, but they look way better than I was expecting, especially on defence. The fact that their corners/safeties are playing so far off the ball and still containing the run game and underneath passing game is really impressive.

13. Fool's Requiem

-Return to Top-

I want to know who saw the Jaguars scoring 29 on the Texans coming into this week.

I unfortunately can't watch them anymore because I'm not in the region. I'm stuck with Redskins and Ravens games.

14. Jon

Jon Official Thread Killer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Tyreek Hill is a game changer. His speed is real and he'll burn a lot of defenses over the top if he develops better route running and Smith can throw it. In the coming years, I think the Mahomes/Hill duo is something to earmark on your calendars. I was happily impressed with the game. Though Josh McDaniels should be fined for that gameplan. I get injuries, but when on Earth was it ever a good idea to gameplan like that? It was laughable. And it was predictable. Every drive was the exact same thing. Throw deep on 1st. Run off tackle on 2nd. Throw for the first on 3rd. Punt. I'm very happy the Chiefs won that game. Well deserved and Hunt was a BEAST. I love that kid.

I felt like they could, honestly. Leonard Fournette is the real deal.

15. Fool's Requiem

-Return to Top-

But the rest of the team, though?

16. Jon

-Return to Top-

Well, I think Bortles is eventually going to be benched. And Allen Robinson may actually be addition by subtraction. Hurns is a good receiver, and so is Lee. Not great, but serviceable. It's the TEs that need to step up for them. I'd be running a lot of 22 if I were the Jaguars. That defense is underrated in my opinion, too.

Let's also not forget, that Tom Coughlin is involved with this team. He may not be the head coach, and Doug Marrone isn't exactly Tom Landry, but Coughlin is executive vp of football operations which means he's heavily involved.

17. Crazy Jamie

Crazy Jamie First recipient of the Amaloo Award Super Moderator Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Jags will win games with Fournette and their D alone this year. Whoever plays at quarterback doesn't need to be anything more than serviceable, which Bortles will be on occasion.

Not a classic list of games in week one, but a few that were decent to watch. I enjoyed Green Bay-Seattle and the Monday night games were both watchable.

18. Jon

-Return to Top-

Pretty much this. As long as the defense is up to par this year, Fournette is a beast. They win on attrition this year. There's a lot more real bad teams than last year. I had faith in Yeldon last year, but Fournette is for real. This year's Elliot, though not quite as good because that Jacksonville o-line isn't nearly what Dallas' is. But I think Fournette can make more happen on his own than Elliot.

19. The Eye in the Sky!

-Return to Top-

I think last week was the first time in a very, very long time that I didn't sit down to watch a game on either Sunday or Monday. I mean, that will change this weekend with the Patriots playing Sunday but still. Never thought I'd do that. I did want to see the GB/SEA game but it didn't happen.

20. Jon

-Return to Top-

And I think this is the pitfall the NFL has headed into. They've saturated the market so much that they no longer own a day of the week. Thursday games, Monday games, later in the season when college ball is over they have Saturday games... When every game was on Sunday (and the single elite Monday night matchup), the NFL basically printed its own money and displaced god on Sundays (You're lying if you tell me you've never brought a radio to church on a Sunday; provided you're a church goer... or even said "I HAVE to go to church Saturday night this week, the NFL is on Sunday...). Now for a multitude of reasons, the NFL has shot itself in its foot. Not that they are hurting for money, but ratings are down. The commissioner, commercials, over-saturation, Kaepernick, domestic abuse issues... and many other reasons are why.

21. Fool's Requiem

-Return to Top-

Kaeperrnick was a product of morons complaining about something stupid. Dude did nothing wrong, but he still got crucified for it.

22. Fool's Requiem

-Return to Top-

I'm going to be super pissed if the Browns lose to the Bengals in Week 4. The Bengals haven't proven anything other than that they are an incredibly incompetent team.

23. Fool's Requiem

-Return to Top-

Through 6 innings, Cleveland Indians ace, Corey Kluber, has allowed less hits (1) than Browns QBs have been sacked (2) and have committed turnovers (3) in one half.

I don't think Kizer knows he can throw it away.

24. The Eye in the Sky!

-Return to Top-

All of the people that were saying Brady is over the hill and to start Garropollo are quiet now. This is why people hate New England fans. Brady has an off game and the entire franchise is in disarray. The Chiefs did it both times. Maybe the Chiefs are just a bad match up for Brady.

It was kind of funny at one point yesterday, all of the receivers were injured except for Cooks so in a three wide set, they had Cooks, James White and James Develin (FB) split out wide.

25. Jon

-Return to Top-

I never said he did. But you'd be naive if you didn't think the ratings drop is at least in part to him. Which is all I said.

Personally, I have nothing wrong with his message and what he is trying to accomplish. I've only spoken against him for how/when he's trying to push that message through. I'm one of those that believes the anthem is for those who stood up for our freedoms in this country risking life and limbs so we can do things like watch a football game being played by men being paid 10x more than the men and women who fought for him. My preference was always that he pick a different method of getting his point across. I've said all along, had he chosen to speak about it to the media after every game, I'd have no issue at all. If Tebow could talk about god and Lynch could talk about Skittles, then Kaepernick can talk about freedoms. But kneeling during the anthem was disrespectful to me, and I don't like that. I understand it's his right to do so, and I don't vilify him for that. I just personally disapprove, which I guess is my right. I've yelled at my own kid who refused to take his hat off during the anthem at a live game once. So at least I'm consistent.

Mayby I just missed it, but I didn't hear any of that this time around? Though, you're not wrong about the sky is falling mentality of this fanbase. The Chiefs are indeed a bad matchup. His clock management skills aside, Andy Reid is a very good coach. His defense is fast, athletic and talented. That's the kind of defense that gives Brady fits. I think that game is a LOT different with Edelman. There were so many times the line gave Brady a ton of time in the pocket, but none of the receivers got open. That's a very underrated part of Edelman's game, is his ability to shed a defender.

The injuries are becoming worrisome. I would have preferred to see an uptick in Lewis' snaps when Hogan and Dorsett were hobbling. Lewis is shifty like Edelman. Give him a shot in some 2-back looks with White. It could be a potential matchup nightmare for defenses because at least one of them will be covered with a linebacker, and there is no QB better at recognizing matchup mismatches than Brady. Even without Edelman, lining up in a 12 set with Hogan, Cooks (likely covered by corners), Gronk (usually covered by a safety), and White, Lewis (one will be covered by a nickle corner and the other a linebacker; if they use a dime set, Gronk is the mismatch, otherwise the back being covered by the LB is) in the backfield.

26. Spiner202

-Return to Top-

Two things I learned this weekend:

1. Arrowhead Stadium is the coolest stadium I've ever seen.

2. KC barbecue is deadly!

Will give a full review of the weekend/KC a bit later in the week once I've got more time, but really happy with my experience :)

BigDaddy and The Eye in the Sky! like this.
  27. The Eye in the Sky!

-Return to Top-

I primarily make Texas style BBQ because I'm all about brisket, but I hear KC is a good mesh of Texas and Memphis style but mixes in heavy sauces. Maybe someday I'll make a pilgrimage out there for a food and baseball trip.

BigDaddy likes this.
  28. dimmerwit

dimmerwit Tremendously High Energy Member Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As cool as Arrowhead looks, I think the new Falcons stadium is nuts.

Also, and this is a European thing, but the idea of replacing a stadium built in 1992 is faintly amusing. But as they say, a European thinks 100 miles is a long way whilst an American thinks 100 years is a long time.

29. Jon

-Return to Top-

I thought the new Cowboys stadium was great a couple years ago.

But are you talking stadiums you've visited? Because if so, I'm limited in knowledge there.

30. Fool's Requiem

-Return to Top-

I'm already sick and tired of arguing about this. People who complain about Kaepernick and other players who choose to kneel during the anthem are probably the same ones who have no problem defending people flying the Conferderate flag.

People forget about the freedom of speech. Kneeling during the national anthem is protected under the first amendment. End of story. You don't have to like it, but that's not their problem, that's yours.